HEAT ALERT

Pop-up storms expected through early Monday in CT. Some storms could be strong or severe

Officials: Garbage truck catches fire in Westport

They say the fire happened on Fairview Drive and the cause of the fire was lithium batteries for a vacuum cleaner.

News 12 Staff

Dec 30, 2022, 10:09 PM

Updated 539 days ago

Share:

Westport fire officials say a fire in a garbage truck was put out after the operator saw smoke coming for the rear end.
They say the fire happened on Fairview Drive and the cause of the fire was lithium batteries for a vacuum cleaner.
The operator was able to dump the garbage to extinguish the fire.
Firefighters are reminding residents to recycle lithium batteries and not throw them in the trash.


More from News 12