Prosecutor: Suspect in deadly crash drove over 110 mph, was almost twice the legal limit

Erles Aguilera, 25 ,was arraigned Thursday on charges of manslaughter, assault with a motor vehicle, operating a motor vehicle under the influence of drugs and/or alcohol, and reckless driving.

Marissa Alter

Dec 29, 2022, 11:40 PM

Updated 535 days ago


Erles Aguilera, 25, of Stamford, hit speeds of up to 113 mph and was almost twice the legal limit of alcohol when he crashed his truck in South Norwalk, killing one of his passengers, according to his arrest warrant.
Aguilera was arraigned in Stamford Superior Court Thursday following his arrest Wednesday on charges of manslaughter, assault with a motor vehicle, operating a motor vehicle under the influence of drugs and/or alcohol, and reckless driving. 
The single-vehicle crash happened on Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Drive around 8 a.m. on Nov. 27. Oscar Valdovinos, 19, of Norwalk, was killed in the accident.
"He was very funny. He was very loving. He always made sure everybody was okay," said Maria Valdovinos, tearing up.
Maria Valdovinos told News 12 her younger brother's absence was felt deeply at Christmas but called Aguilera's arrest the first step towards justice.
"It helps a lot because it's going to give our family closure," she said after court while surrounded by her parents and other loved ones.
Aguilera's family was also at his arraignment and visibly upset. One member loudly whispered, "I love you," to him.
In court, Dep. Asst. State's Attorney Mike Bivona told the judge that on the morning in question, Aguilera got behind the wheel with three passengers after being up all-night drinking and smoking pot. Bivona said they were headed to get food.
"He allegedly pushed the gas pedal to the floor and the car reached over 110 miles per hour as it's swerving around other cars in the road," Bivona stated. "The defendant failed to navigate a turn, the vehicle went airborne, struck a barrier, and the entire right side of the vehicle was sheared off."
Bivona said Valdovinos had severed limbs and was thrown from the car while another passenger fractured both femurs. Aguilera suffered a wound to his head that needed staples. His blood alcohol content was .15, according to the arrest warrant.
"He acted with extreme indifference to the lives of both the public and the people that were in his car, and his actions resulted in a completely avoidable death," Bivona told the judge as he argued for bond to remain at $750,000 in this case. "This behavior in it of itself is enough to show he's a danger to the community, but despite what happened that day, your honor, he picked up another DUI on Dec. 25 of this year."
Aguilera posted $50,000 bond in that case and was given a court date for Jan. 5.
Attorney Michael Corsello stressed his client is not indifferent. Corsello told the court the arrest on Christmas Day came after Aguilera visited the victim's gravesite, adding he's been very much affected by what happened. Corsello told the court Aguilera has a wife and two young kids and served four years active duty in the military before being discharged for PTSD.
Corsello asked for a $100,000 bond with home confinement and said Aguilera has deep ties to the community.
But Judge Bruce Hudock kept bond at $750,000 and said the second arrest showed "a deep reckless disregard for the safety and wellbeing of the community." Hudock also ruled bond can only be posted at the courthouse after a hearing to determine additional conditions of release along with no driving.
Maria Valdovinos said her brother only recently met Aguilera and didn't know him well. She was appalled to learn of the additional arrest.
"No remorse whatsoever, and he obviously did not care. He still drove drunk after everything. That's crazy to me honestly," she said.
His attorney declined to comment on camera after court but called it, "a tragedy all around."
Aguilera returns to court in this case on Feb. 24.

More from News 12