Stamford mom dies after falling down stairs while holding child in stroller at NYC subway station

<p>A Stamford mother died after police say she fell down the stairs and onto the platform of a Manhattan subway station while carrying her 1-year-old child in a stroller.</p>

News 12 Staff

Jan 29, 2019, 12:04 PM

Updated 1,963 days ago


A Stamford mother died after her family says she fell down the stairs and onto the platform of a Manhattan subway station while carrying her 1-year-old child in a stroller and multiple shopping bags.
Malaysia Goodson, 22, of Stamford, died Monday after police were called to the 7th Avenue subway station for a 911 call of a woman who was unconscious inside. 
Police say Goodson was found lying unconscious on the southbound train platform next to her 1-year-old daughter.
Goodson was transported to Mt. Sinai West where she was later pronounced dead.
The New York City medical examiner says that there was no significant trauma to Goodman and that the fatality seems to be related to a pre-existing condition.
Police say the 1-year-old girl was treated at the scene and is OK.
Dieshe Goodson, the brother of the victim tells News 12  his sister was shopping in the city with their cousin when it appears she fell down the stairs inside the subway station.
"She had a lot of bags and the baby in the stroller," Dieshe says.
He says his sister was the youngest of four children and she was outgoing, loved to laugh, and loved to play. He says family meant everything to her and she was very protective.
"When I was on my way to the hospital last night, I was praying that it wasn't her the whole time," says Dieshe. "Please don't be my sister."
Dieshe says his family moved to Stamford from New York and has lived there for nine years. 
He says his sister graduated from West Hill High School in 2015 and was a former day care worker at the Baby Cottage. 
Dieshe says his niece Rhylee, who was there at the time of the incident, is doing well.
"She's too young to understand what's going on but she's doing good," he says. 
A GoFundMe page has been set up to help support Goodson's daughter Rhylee. Another has been made to cover funeral expenses.
The subway station has no elevator and only one escalator that goes up.  MTA officials called the incident heartbreaking and say they are investigating with the NYPD and working with the city's medical examiner. 

More from News 12