Westport Fire Department offers generator safety tips

The Westport Fire Department urges residents to use caution when operating a portable generator during a long-term power outage.
Residents with generators are reminded to operate generators outdoors only, in an area with plenty of ventilation to prevent carbon monoxide.
Fire officials warn individuals to use a heavy-duty extension cord to connect appliances to the outlets on the generator. The generator should never be plugged directly into the wall of a home.
Because generators pose significant electrical risks, residents should always ensure that their hands are dry before touching it.
Children and pets should be kept away from portable generators.