News12 New York
N12 Originals
Numbers & Links
Local
Crime
Weather
Politics
Showers
68°
Local
Crime
Weather
Politics

2 workers still hospitalized after partial building collapse in New Haven; investigation underway

Six construction workers injured in a partial building collapse in New Haven, Connecticut, last week have been released from a hospital, while two others continue to be treated and are in fair condition, a hospital spokesperson said Monday.

Marissa Alter

and

Associated Press

Jun 5, 2023, 1:26 PM

Updated

Share:

More Stories

Six construction workers injured in a partial building collapse in New Haven, Connecticut, last week have been released from a hospital, while two others continue to be treated and are in fair condition, a hospital spokesperson said Monday.

New Haven Mayor Justin Elicker said one of the people still in the hospital is in the intensive care unit, while the other is stable and recovering. “Obviously, we're very much praying for the individual in intensive care and his full recovery,” Elicker said at a news conference.

A section of the building, which is under construction, collapsed Friday when concrete apparently was being poured on the second above-ground floor faster than workers could spread it and the mixture pooled too much in one area, city officials said.

The collapse went into the basement parking garage, leaving behind mangled rebar and other debris. Three workers were partially buried in the rubble. First responders pulled out several victims using ladder trucks, ropes and rescue baskets.

Eight workers were taken to Yale New Haven Hospital with various injuries including broken bones and two were in critical condition. Six were discharged between Friday and Monday, hospital spokesperson Mark D'Antonio said. (DELETE THIS He said he did not have details on the remaining two patients' injuries.)

OSHA is investigating the cause of the collapse, which Elicker said will take time. He pledged to support the investigation.

“We, in addition to OSHA reviewing that, have started to review our internal processes to make sure our inspections were all done correctly, and up to now, we have identified that everything that we are responsible for on our end was done appropriately,” Elicker said.

He explained that New Haven’s inspection process includes requiring a third-party inspector to come on site before such a large concrete pour like the one at 188 Lafayette St. A stop-work order was issued Friday, but plans call for the building to be seven stories and 112 units. RMS Companies is behind the project. CEO Randy Salvatore released the following statement over the weekend:

“First and foremost, the safety of our construction teams is our top priority.  Our thoughts are focused on a full recovery for those who were injured, and we greatly appreciate the heroic work of the first responders.  We will continue to work with our engineers and safety team and all of the appropriate government agencies to fully investigate the incident."

Elicker said there’s a lot of checks and balances in the construction process to avoid this type of situation so it’s important to understand exactly what occurred.

“We want to make sure that this never happens again,” he reiterated.

New Haven’s building inspector also said there had been no issues with RMS at that site or any of their buildings in the city.

MORE: 8 construction workers injured as building partially collapses near Yale medical school

More Stories

Top Stories

01:40
murderanniversaryCT6pZC_2026-08-16-18-30-31

City of Bridgeport honors woman killed in 2024 drive-by shooting

02:01
CT F P1 PM

STORM WATCH: Periods of rain across western Connecticut into Monday morning

deadly shooting investigation

1 dead, 4 wounded in Hartford shooting

01:25
CTBRIDGEPORTHOMICIDEUPDATE08156P_2026-08-15-18-15-46

Bridgeport teen surrenders in deadly shooting of high school athlete

00:50
POLICEAWARDS_2026-08-16-11-58-03

Bridgeport Police honor 'community heroes' at City Hall ceremony

00:59
AIRBORNDAY_2026-08-16-11-58-16

CT war hero honors paratroopers on National Airborne Day

00:24
SpaceX TN Raw

Did you see it? SpaceX launches two Falcon 9 rockets minutes apart from FL, CA

Screenshot 2026-08-16 143716

Tommy John, namesake for a pioneering elbow surgery that saved his career, dead at 83

00:16
Screenshot 2026-08-14 212541

FBI seizes 250,000 fentanyl-laced pills in New Haven drug bust

01:29
justinpkg0814_2026-08-14-22-03-40

'Should be proud.' Darien Little League's season ends one win shy of LLWS berth

00:34
raul 2

Raul Valle's attorney files notice to appeal decision allowing him to be retried

00:27
Evidence2

Bridgeport police seize drugs, AK-47-style rifle in East End investigation

01:41
MA Hogan Web PKG 8-14

CT woman accused of poisoning ex's wine, falsifying paternity tests appears in court pregnant

00:26
Screenshot 2026-08-14 175451

Man arrested following sexual assault investigation

00:20
7226a973-a60b-4ede-9581-fc45a7b2b8a7

73-year-old NYC man struck and killed by car in Torrington

02:35
Luigi Mangione

Luigi Mangione pleads guilty to federal stalking charges in the killing of UnitedHealthcare CEO

00:18
CVSrobberythumb

Bronx man accused of stealing nearly $1K worth of NyQuil, DayQuil from CVS in Wilton

01:53
rg430missing4yearold_2026-08-14-17-03-24

Family of missing 4-year-old Bridgeport boy with autism 'grateful' to community for his safe return

00:28
814ctmurder_2026-08-14-07-44-43

Man charged with fatally stabbing ex-girlfriend in New Haven

00:24
pmcollapse0814_2026-08-14-18-24-33

'God has a plan.' Danbury church partially collapses; no injuries reported

App StoreGoogle Play Store

info

Newsletter

Send Photos/Videos

Contact

About Us

News Team

News 12 New York

follow us

Twitter

Facebook

Instagram

more resources

Optimum Corporate

Optimum Service

Advertise on News 12

Careers

Content Removal Policy

© 2026 N12N, LLC

Privacy Policy

Terms of Service

Ad Choices