News12 New York
Where to Watch
Download the App
Local
Crime
Weather
beWell
The East End
Crime Files
TARIFF LAWSUIT

A dozen states, including Connecticut, sue the Trump administration to stop tariff policy

The lawsuit said the policy put in place by President Donald Trump has been subject to his “whims rather than the sound exercise of lawful authority.”

Associated Press

Apr 23, 2025, 5:24 PM

Updated

Share:

A dozen states sued the Trump administration in the U.S. Court of International Trade in New York on Wednesday to stop its tariff policy, saying it is unlawful and has brought chaos to the American economy.

The lawsuit said the policy put in place by President Donald Trump has been subject to his “whims rather than the sound exercise of lawful authority.”

It challenged Trump’s claim that he could arbitrarily impose tariffs based on the International Emergency Economic Powers Act. The suit asks the court to declare the tariffs to be illegal, and to block government agencies and its officers from enforcing them.

A message sent to the Justice Department for comment was not immediately returned.

The states listed as plaintiffs in the lawsuit were Oregon, Arizona, Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, Illinois, Maine, Minnesota, Nevada, New Mexico, New York and Vermont.

In a release, Arizona Attorney General Kris Mayes called Trump's tariff scheme “insane.”

She said it was “not only economically reckless — it is illegal.”

The lawsuit maintained that only Congress has the power to impose tariffs and that the president can only invoke the International Emergency Economic Powers Act when an emergency presents an “unusual and extraordinary threat” from abroad.

“By claiming the authority to impose immense and ever-changing tariffs on whatever goods entering the United States he chooses, for whatever reason he finds convenient to declare an emergency, the President has upended the constitutional order and brought chaos to the American economy,” the lawsuit said.

Last week, California Gov. Gavin Newsom, a Democrat, sued the Trump administration in U.S. District Court in the Northern District of California over the tariff policy, saying his state could lose billions of dollars in revenue as the largest importer in the country.

White House spokesperson Kush Desai responded to Newsom's lawsuit, saying the Trump administration "remains committed to addressing this national emergency that’s decimating America’s industries and leaving our workers behind with every tool at our disposal, from tariffs to negotiations.”

Top Stories

VinnyPizzaBridgeport

Car slams into Vinny's Pizza sign, tears down stop sign

01:48
CT 2 (5)

STORM WATCH: Rain to continue to put a damper on holiday plans 

00:32
Screenshot 2026-05-23 130943

Norwalk man charged with home invasion after entering apartment, stealing knives

00:55
BridgeportBandTN

Bridgeport band will kick off summer season with tribute to veterans

00:39
RTCTBptRolloverCrash05232026VO9pm_2026-05-23-21-24-29

Car crashes and rolls over, striking parked vehicle in Bridgeport

AP26144405873510

Suspect dead after opening fire near White House security checkpoint, Secret Service says

01:39
BRIDGEPORTICEARRESTFOLO_2026-05-23-18-05-21

Bridgeport lawmakers call ICE arrest at bus stop 'executive overreach'

01:51
justinpkg0522_2026-05-22-21-07-11

'Put that chair down.' 3 people arrested in brawl at college graduation in Bridgeport, police say

00:51
Bridgeportnavyopener

Navy veteran opens new business in Bridgeport on Memorial Day weekend

00:52
detained by ICE 2 MONITOR copy

Officials: Bridgeport man detained by ICE while in his vehicle with son

02:43
marissapkg0522_2026-05-22-21-13-09

Winsted woman facing dozens of animal cruelty charges will not have cases dropped

00:22
use this for dairy

Guida Dairy Company closing its New Britain facility this summer

00:18
Andrade, Bryan mugshot

Norwalk man arrested for voyeurism incident

00:17
ari

Gov. Lamont appoints interim chair of Connecticut Board of Regents for Higher Education

01:54
0522CravenAEDPKG_2026-05-22-16-45-57

'It takes a tragedy.' CT is finally paying for heart defibrillators in schools

00:23
school generic (desks)

Police: Man claiming to be famous on TikTok found on Bethel High School property looking to meet fans

AP26141697300440

Trump administration rule to force foreigners in the US to apply for a green card abroad

00:47
bobbysburgers0522_2026-05-22-17-05-59

Ribbon-cutting held for renovated Bobby's Burgers at Mohegan Sun

Screenshot 2026-05-22 080150

Final washed out road reopens nearly two years after deadly 2024 floods in Oxford

01:54
Screenshot 2026-05-22 062237

From PCOS to PMOS: Why doctors say the new name matters for women’s health

App StoreGoogle Play Store

info

Newsletter

Send Photos/Videos

Contact

About Us

News Team

News 12 New York

follow us

Twitter

Facebook

Instagram

more resources

Optimum Corporate

Optimum Service

Advertise on News 12

Careers

Content Removal Policy

© 2026 N12N, LLC

Privacy Policy

Terms of Service

Ad Choices