News12 New York
Where to Watch
Download the App
Local
Crime
Weather
beWell
The East End
Crime Files

2 workers still hospitalized after partial building collapse in New Haven; investigation underway

Six construction workers injured in a partial building collapse in New Haven, Connecticut, last week have been released from a hospital, while two others continue to be treated and are in fair condition, a hospital spokesperson said Monday.

Marissa Alter

and

Associated Press

Jun 5, 2023, 1:26 PM

Updated

Share:

More Stories

Six construction workers injured in a partial building collapse in New Haven, Connecticut, last week have been released from a hospital, while two others continue to be treated and are in fair condition, a hospital spokesperson said Monday.

New Haven Mayor Justin Elicker said one of the people still in the hospital is in the intensive care unit, while the other is stable and recovering. “Obviously, we're very much praying for the individual in intensive care and his full recovery,” Elicker said at a news conference.

A section of the building, which is under construction, collapsed Friday when concrete apparently was being poured on the second above-ground floor faster than workers could spread it and the mixture pooled too much in one area, city officials said.

The collapse went into the basement parking garage, leaving behind mangled rebar and other debris. Three workers were partially buried in the rubble. First responders pulled out several victims using ladder trucks, ropes and rescue baskets.

Eight workers were taken to Yale New Haven Hospital with various injuries including broken bones and two were in critical condition. Six were discharged between Friday and Monday, hospital spokesperson Mark D'Antonio said. (DELETE THIS He said he did not have details on the remaining two patients' injuries.)

OSHA is investigating the cause of the collapse, which Elicker said will take time. He pledged to support the investigation.

“We, in addition to OSHA reviewing that, have started to review our internal processes to make sure our inspections were all done correctly, and up to now, we have identified that everything that we are responsible for on our end was done appropriately,” Elicker said.

He explained that New Haven’s inspection process includes requiring a third-party inspector to come on site before such a large concrete pour like the one at 188 Lafayette St. A stop-work order was issued Friday, but plans call for the building to be seven stories and 112 units. RMS Companies is behind the project. CEO Randy Salvatore released the following statement over the weekend:

“First and foremost, the safety of our construction teams is our top priority.  Our thoughts are focused on a full recovery for those who were injured, and we greatly appreciate the heroic work of the first responders.  We will continue to work with our engineers and safety team and all of the appropriate government agencies to fully investigate the incident."

Elicker said there’s a lot of checks and balances in the construction process to avoid this type of situation so it’s important to understand exactly what occurred.

“We want to make sure that this never happens again,” he reiterated.

New Haven’s building inspector also said there had been no issues with RMS at that site or any of their buildings in the city.

MORE: 8 construction workers injured as building partially collapses near Yale medical school

More Stories

Top Stories

02:02
marissapkg0518_2026-05-18-17-52-13

EnConn police investigating after unmanned Jet Ski hits child on beach at Indian Well State Park

02:21
HCX Record High2

Summer-like weather ahead, close call with record breaking heat Tuesday for Connecticut

00:32
marissapkg105_2026-01-05-17-25-02_16-32-43,06

Michelle Troconis' habeas petition to vacate conviction in Jennifer Dulos case denied

58025 0 353674781 000001

Police: Former Stratford High School wrestling coach accused of sexually assaulting female student

00:29
officerarrested0518_2026-05-18-17-12-57_16-35-07,03

Former Hartford officer charged with manslaughter following deadly use of force investigation

00:30
marty

Chair of Connecticut Board of Regents for Higher Education resigns

00:31
Tushar Sharma

California man defrauds Trumbull woman out of $900,000 worth of gold coins

00:16
PopUp Bagels

‘Not famous, but known.’ PopUp Bagels coming to High Ridge Road in Stamford

02:20
CTElectionsPKG430Show051826_2026-05-18-17-15-46

Democratic opponent: Gov. Lamont 'working for his wealthy country club friends'

00:55
vetrepairs0815_2026-05-18-17-13-45_16-40-03,04

Stratford Navy veteran receives free home repairs thanks to Hamden nonprofit

AIR QUALITY ALERT

Air quality advisory in effect on Monday across CT

00:24
Cock518_2026-05-18-11-55-24_11-33-18,13

Massive illegal gambling and cockfighting ring busted inside Tolland home

01:24
RTCTBpt2ndHomicideOf2026FRecchia9pm_2026-05-17-21-20-59

Bridgeport family 'crushed' following fatal shooting of 25-year-old man

Ridgefield Road

Branchville Road opens after tree and power lines come down in Ridgefield

01:55
Leanna6aml518_2026-05-18-06-12-50

Men make up larger share of nursing workforce as demand remains strong

00:24
SHOOTING INVESTIGATION generic MONITOR copy

One person killed, another injured in Bridgeport shooting

01:04
Child struck by jetski in Shelton

Out-of-control Jet Ski strikes child at Indian Well State Park in Shelton

00:24
Fatal Accident

Bridgeport scooter rider killed in car collision

02:31
5182026CTmic_2026-05-18-06-39-15

Made in Connecticut: Curtis Packaging produces luxury boxes for top global brands

00:26
fatal crash - mon copy (1)

One person dead, two injured after New Haven car crash

App StoreGoogle Play Store

info

Newsletter

Send Photos/Videos

Contact

About Us

News Team

News 12 New York

follow us

Twitter

Facebook

Instagram

more resources

Optimum Corporate

Optimum Service

Advertise on News 12

Careers

Content Removal Policy

© 2026 N12N, LLC

Privacy Policy

Terms of Service

Ad Choices