Are you ready to adopt a shelter pet? Consider these tips
Are you ready to adopt a shelter pet? Here are some tips to get you started:
- Consider if your lifestyle is right for a pet. As you go through lifestyle changes such as moves, the birth of children and new jobs, will you still be able to care for your pet?
- Make sure everyone in the family wants a pet and understands the responsibility it entails.
- If you have other pets, are they OK with the addition of a new pet?
recommends researching the breed and characteristics of each animal to make sure it fits your lifestyle.
- Owning a dog or cat costs more than the initial adoption fee. Make sure you consider your budget.
- Checkout the website for the shelter you're going to visit, and prepare the necessary paper work needed for adoption.
- Pet-proof your home.
- If you're adopting a dog or cat, ASPCA recommends drawing up a schedule of who in the family will help take care of your new furry friend. This includes walking, playing, feeding, grooming, and litter changing.
- Keep a routine for feeding, playing, walking, and sleeping.
- Bring your pup to a training class.
- Have your new friend spayed or neutered.