Chef's Quick Tips: Ricotta Beignets
Chef and caterer Chris Reveron of Bridgeport shows Tina Redwine how to make savory treats.
- 4 whole large eggs
- 6 Table spoons sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
- 1 lb. high quality ricotta
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- In a bowl, mix the eggs, sugar, salt, orange zest and ricotta cheese with a whisk at low speed.
- Sift the flour and baking powder together, then gently fold into the ricotta mixture using a spatula. Do not overmix.
- Refrigerate the dough overnight. The following day, gently scoop the dough with a small ice cream scoop into hot oil (330°F) and fry them until golden brown. About 5 minutes. Toss in cinnamon sugar
1/2 cup granulated sugar
2 tablespoons ground cinnamon (or a little more or less to taste)
- 1 cup good quality unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup cold water
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- In a medium saucepan, whisk together the cocoa powder and sugar until blended. Add the water and 1/4 teaspoon of the salt, and whisk over medium heat until boiling, stirring constantly.
- Continue boiling until mixture thickens, about 3 – 4 minutes. The mixture will still be fairly thin (it thickens to a syrup-like consistency once cool). Taste and stir in additional salt until dissolved, up to 1/4 teaspoon, if desired.
- Remove from heat and stir in the vanilla. Cool down and serve as needed.
Chef Chris Reveron/Caterer