Connecticut Dept. of Children and Families performed courtesy visit last month to children killed in NY crash

The department has confirmed that last month its counterparts in New York asked them to perform a "courtesy visit" to interview the children based on an incident that occurred in New York.

Abby Del Vecchio

Mar 21, 2023, 7:28 PM

Updated 432 days ago

Share:

The Connecticut Department of Children and Families has released new information regarding the five Derby children who were killed in a crash in New York on Sunday.
The department has confirmed that last month its counterparts in New York asked them to perform a "courtesy visit" to interview the children based on an incident that occurred in New York.
The department says because the children were located in Connecticut at the time -- they had recently moved to Derby from New York -- Connecticut Department of Children and Families assisted New York Child Protective Services. The department claims there was nothing that warranted further involvement by DCF.
"We are currently reviewing our interactions with the involved families," the department said. "We are unable to comment further on this matter."
The children were in an SUV at the time when the driver, 16-year-old Malik Smith, either fell asleep or became distracted, according to Westchester County Executive George Latimer. Latimer said Smith did not have a driver's license or a permit. Five of the children, all under the age of 17, were killed. A sixth child survived because he was sitting in the way back of the SUV and managed to escape with minor injuries.


More from News 12