Judge sentences former Bridgeport personnel director to 4 months in prison for test rigging scheme

A judge has sentenced former acting Bridgeport personnel director David Dunn to four months in prison for his role in the 2018 police chief's exam scandal.

News 12 Staff

Apr 13, 2021, 4:10 PM

Updated 1,142 days ago


One day after Bridgeport's former police chief learned he's going to federal prison, the city's former personnel director is also headed there - but for less time.
Former Bridgeport Personnel Director David Dunn was joined by his family in federal court Tuesday as he learned his fate - four months in prison for helping to rig the city's police chief search in 2018, and then lying to federal investigators about it.
On Monday, the same federal judge sentenced ex-Police Chief AJ Perez for his role in the scheme - giving him a year and a day.
In court, Dunn took full responsibility for his actions and apologized to the people of Bridgeport, acknowledging he'd betrayed their trust.
"As I stand before you, the wrongness of my conduct is apparent," he said. "I hope today is the first step in helping the city recover from the harm I've caused it."
In a sentencing memorandum, Dunn's attorney wrote that Dunn believed Perez was the best candidate for the job but was at a disadvantage since English was Perez's second language and he lacked a college degree.
The details of the police chief scheme are laid out in a sentencing memo submitted to the court by prosecutors.
The memo also noted Dunn believed his superiors wanted Perez to get the job because the mayor and Perez had a close relationship, the mayor had made him acting chief and City Council members had asked about Perez and no other candidates.
When handing down her ruling, Judge Kari Dooley called Dunn's actions "inexplicable" and "corruption at the highest echelon of city government."
In addition to prison time, Dooley sentenced Dunn to two years supervised release, a fine and 100 hours of community service.
He and Perez were also ordered to pay back nearly $300,000 in restitution to the city.
Dunn had no comment as he left the courthouse.

More from News 12