Police: Stamford man missing since December found dead in Westport pond

The body of Errol Whyte, 63, was found floating in a retention pond at a local office park, according to Westport police.

Marissa Alter

Apr 3, 2023, 11:21 PM

Updated 386 days ago


The search for a Stamford man who disappeared more than three months ago came to an end in Westport Monday. The body of Errol Whyte, 63, was found floating in a retention pond at a local office park, according to Westport police. Whyte had been the focus of a missing person investigation by Stamford police since just before the new year.
Westport police Lt. Eric Woods said the property manager at 55-57 Greens Farms Road called it in around 11:30 a.m. Woods told News 12 the body appeared to have been there for a while, and there were no obvious signs of trauma.
“Early indications are there’s nothing suspicious, but again, it is still very early in the investigation,” Woods said.
Whyte was last seen leaving his son’s place in Bridgeport the evening of Dec. 29. He was headed home to Stamford but never made it there. Instead, his SUV was found abandoned on I-95 south in Westport between exits 18 and 17. Stamford police deemed his disappearance suspicious and initially, focused their efforts on Greens Farms Road, which runs parallel to that section of I-95. Westport police helped with the investigation, as well.
“We did search with state police and with Stamford police. We also flew our drone, but we could never put eyes on him,” Woods said.
The SUV had been parked on the shoulder and left unlocked with Whyte's phones inside. His wallet was left there too but without Whyte's ID and cash, according to Stamford police. They later confirmed the SUV hadn't run out of gas or had a mechanical issue. They also told News 12 Whyte had no history of dementia or medical issues. Stamford police expanded their search outside Connecticut but came up empty. News 12 was told there were no reported sightings of Whyte since his disappearance.
Westport police will now try to determine how and why Whyte ended up in the pond. Woods said investigators will check if the office buildings have cameras in hopes of giving Whyte's family some answers. They’re also asking anyone who might have information to contact them at 203-341-6000.
“If anybody did see anything, please call the police department and report, or if we can identify anything on any kind of surveillance of it,” Woods said.

More from News 12