Prosecution gets DNA sample from accused Milford ax murderer

The prosecution wants to see if it matches DNA found on the weapon used to kill Julie Minogue, the mother of Dewitt's 3-year-old son.

Marissa Alter

Jun 30, 2023, 9:24 PM

Updated 294 days ago


Milford police took a DNA sample from a man accused of murdering a mother of three in front of the child he shared with her. It came after Ewen Dewitt appeared in Milford Superior Court for a motion from Milford State’s Attorney Margaret Kelly requesting Dewitt's DNA.
The prosecution wants to see if it matches DNA found on the weapon used to kill Julie Minogue, the mother of Dewitt's 3-year-old son. Last December, Minogue was attacked with an ax in her condo while her two youngest kids were home.
Dewitt's arrest warrant stated the 17-year-old saw Dewitt standing over his mom holding a bloody ax. It also said a neighbor's doorbell camera captured Dewitt with the weapon right before he allegedly stormed the condo.
“Initially your honor, I had indicated to the state that we would object to it. I have had time to consider that position, and it is our position we will not object to the taking of the DNA swab,” stated public defender John Walkley, who represents Dewitt.
Kelley told the court the sample would be taken right after the hearing.
Following court, Walkley said his position change was, in part, because Dewitt confessed to police after his arrest.
Walkley also told News 12 he is still awaiting a full psychiatric evaluation of Dewitt, which he’s hopeful will play a role in how the case is resolved.
At the time of her death, Minogue had a protective order against Dewitt for a pending assault case from 2019. She'd also recently been granted a restraining order after Dewitt allegedly sent her 220 text messages, including threats. In filing for it, she wrote: "I am scared for the safety of my children and I. Ewen has got himself into a lot of trouble with drugs and alcohol and I'm scared he's going to kill me."
Minogue had brought her concerns to police just three weeks before her murder. The officer who handled her report submitted an arrest warrant for Dewitt to the state's attorney's office, but it was sent back seeking more information about the texts and then never resubmitted.
Dewitt wasn’t charged with harassment and violation of a protective order until after Minogue’s murder.
The officer who handled Minogue's initial report was put on leave pending the outcome of an internal investigation into what went wrong. News 12 reached out to Milford police for an update on the case but did not hear back yet.
Minogue’s family previously announced they intend to file a lawsuit against the city and the police department for not preventing her death. Minogue’s father was at the hearing Friday and declined to comment.
Dewitt’s next hearing is set for Sept. 18.

More from News 12