‘Justice for Jayson’ protesters mark 4 years since fatal officer-involved shooting

A group of protestors lined up in front of the Bridgeport Police Headquarters, marking four years since a 15-year-old was fatally shot by a police officer.

News 12 Staff

Jun 13, 2021, 4:52 PM

Updated 1,070 days ago


A group of protestors lined up in front of the Bridgeport Police Headquarters Sunday, marking four years since a 15-year-old was fatally shot by a police officer.  
Justice for Jayson group members said they've been demanding more accountability and transparency since Bridgeport Police Officer James Boulay shot and killed Jayson Negron in 2017.
They said they want to see new faces at the police department, at City Hall and in the City Council chambers.
The same group has also been protesting in Hamden and Norwalk in recent weeks as part of their efforts to keep officers connected to the shooting from being hired by police departments in those cities.
City Councilwoman Maria Pereira says a large number of officers have left the Bridgeport Police Department over the past six months because morale is at an all-time low.
News 12 has reached out to the city of Bridgeport, who have not yet made a statement.  
Despite cries for charges against Boulay, a 2019 report from Waterbury State’s Attorney Maureen Platt — who oversaw the state police investigation into the shooting — cleared the officer of any criminal wrongdoing, calling his actions that day justified.
The report from Platt said Negron was driving a stolen car and briefly led police on a pursuit.
The report said Negron turned the wrong way onto Fairfield Avenue — a one-way street — and hit Boulay with the car’s door when the officer got out of the cruiser he was in and approached the driver’s side door.
Once Boulay was hit by the door, he fired his department-issue gun, fatally wounding Negron and hitting the passenger, Julian Fyffe, who later recovered from his injuries.
AP Wire Services were used in this report.

More from News 12