Officials warn homeowners of lead poisoning

Officials in Bridgeport are warning residents and homeowners about the dangers of lead poisoning. The warning is particularly aimed at families who live in older homes that date back to when lead was

News 12 Staff

Nov 10, 2014, 3:37 AM

Updated 3,506 days ago

Share:

Officials in Bridgeport are warning residents and homeowners about the dangers of lead poisoning.
The warning is particularly aimed at families who live in older homes that date back to when lead was common in paint and other materials.
Officials say the issue is a chronic problem in the city. Samantha Cheatham says her 20-month-old son has been diagnosed with lead poisoning, possibly as the result of eating paint chips scraped off the woodwork by her daughter's wheelchair.
Cheatham says she did get a warning about possible lead paint contamination from her landlord, as required by law, but she didn't think one of her kids would end up actually getting sick from it.
Doctors say lead poisoning can cause everything from weight loss and vomiting to kidney failure and permanent intellectual disabilities.
If you know that you're moving into a home that is older and may have used lead-based paint, educate yourself on the signs and symptoms.
City officials urge people to carefully read the Childhood Lead Poisoning Prevention program information on the CDC website.


More from News 12